Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

The book of James......short, but says a lot!

I have always read my bible and searched for scriptures that seemed to fit my current trial or need. All the while knowing I was going about "reading the Bible" the wrong way.  Recently, I have started really getting into the Word of God.  One of my favorite books of the Bible is James.  It is a really short book with all of 5 chapters, but it says a lot!  Ever had the feeling that the pastor was preaching directly to you? I read each chapter in one sitting for the first time and my toes were almost throbbing from being stepped on.  I felt ashamed and rattled to the point that I humbled myself before God and repented right at my kitchen table.  One of the reasons I chose to read James was because my son's nightly devotional book discussed the question, Can others see God shining through you?  I wanted to be able to help my son Will with his behavior choices by giving a few verses for him to memorize.  For him, not for me at all of course.  James wrote this to urge Christians to express their faith in daily living.  From time to time, Will and I have the discussion about witnessing to others through our actions.  Regretfully now, I have actually said these words, "Let's act like we are saved."
 My point of regret came when I read James 1:22-25. "22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

This is when my toes started throbbing. I realized I was not “practicing what I was preaching” to Will.  How in the world was my  7 year old supposed to truly understand how to control his actions if his mother was not adhering to the Word?  I knew all along, just reading it in that moment made it clear.  Now I am making a more conscious effort to let my light shine.  It has made a huge difference.  I saw a post on Pinterest that says, "When they are older, they will not do as you said.  They will do as you did."  Very profound quote.  I can't help but wonder if there once was a parent out there somewhere who received those words while she was sitting at the kitchen table humbling herself before God to show her how to help her son. 

Coincidentally, this renewed revelation not only helps with parenting for me.  It has had a great impact on my marriage and the relationship Alan and I have together.  That is a topic for another day. 

1 comment:

  1. I love it, Sondie! So thankful for you being part of our family. I know many will be touched through your humility and submission to our Lord. Love you!

    ReplyDelete